Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Just another Manic Monday...?

Nothing fulfills my dreams like staying home with Rylan and Savannah! When asked what I wanted to be when I 'grow up" I have always had two noble choices: A Veterinarian or a Mother. With that being said, please take time to grab a Kleenex before reading any further. Tears of Laughter (at my stupidity) and sympathy tears for poor Rylan.

Ever judge someone too quickly... Ya know you hear stories about things that happen to other parents and you think (most of you don't say it but you think it...) "How could any self respecting, responsible & loving parent let that happen?". Well, those of you who know me, know my mouth is usually (and unfortunately) ahead of my brain. That being said... Know that I heard a story similar (not as innocent) to this about 4 months ago and I was "outraged" at the lack of discipline and focus on the parental behalf. Though the circumstances were quite different, I get the message that God is sending me...

"Pride cometh before the fall..."

Our Monday morning was pretty simple. Eating oatmeal on Moma's lap, racing Matchbox cars, emptying the dishwasher, playing chase, swinging Savannah, etc. The usual fun stuff we do while multi-tasking. Then I noticed the dogs water bucket was dirty and thought I would clean and fill it with fresh water before the noon heat hit. And then...

11:30 - Walked out back door to give dogs fresh water.

11:03 - Return to door to make faces at Rylan while water fills up; we laugh and dance then I walked back to bucket.

11:05 - Water finishes, I return to house. Door is locked. Yes, locked. (sliding glass door-one latch that pulls down to lock--Not good)

11:05 - 11:10 - Calmly talk/sign to Rylan through door to push lock back "up". He tries. On the tips of his precious toes, tears starting to run down his cheeks, he tries. See, though he is tall enough to pull it down, it seems he is an inch shy of being able to push it up more than 1/2 way. Frustrated and heartbroken, he presses his little wet face on the glass. I have to plan then resolution quickly. Savannah will be waking up to eat at 12:00 which will add to the panic.

Thought: Stay hear and figure out a way to break in? Glass on the floor. $ for window. Scare Rylan with noise. Oh and then I notice all windows and the glass door are double paned glass with lattice inside... Not many options there.


11:15 - RUN to Judge's house across the street. All other neighbors are at work or of questionable character. Call Margaret to see if they have key. Yes. She calls Raymond to come out and unlock door. Hang up. Politely back out of the door to dash back over to the door.

Rylan is crying much harder now. Sure that I have vanished and upset that #1 I am not in sight, and #2 I won't let him come outside with me. But faithfully standing by the door and trying to pull it open. We try signing again. "UP" + "MORE". After three attempts he sinks down to a flat-footed position and signs "HELP". Yeah. chew on that plus the pitiful confused face with new tears crossing the path of dried tears and tell me what you would have done. While telling him Grandad is on his way to help...

11:20 - The Judge's wife runs over. Margaret called back. Raymond is too far away and he said for her to call the Police. Judge pops up behind her to help. I run from the door to kennel the dogs, and open the garage for the Judge to use Lane's available tools. He then begins to walk around asking about windows, locks, options, alarm systems, etc.

11:25 - An office shows up. Not just any Cop but the brother of our other good neighbor, Wayne. Nice guy. He tells me to pick a window ( laundry room, the door is closed to avoid endangering Rylan with glass and will hopefully not be as scary. Plus we can close off that room until the window can be replaced) Wayne breaks window climbs in and opens door. Rylan is sobbing. Savannah is sleeping like a log.

11:30 - Raymond pulls up in the driveway and sees everyone still there PLUS Rylan in my lap - clearly a relief.


11:45 - (Daddy) Lane called to say "Hi".

Uh boy... You can imagine the blood pressure hike that we caused for everyone. Rylan seems totally fine and un scaved. However, I did notice him looking at a uniformed police officer VERY closely yesterday. Who can blame him. Poor kid is sure that dude was breaking and entering!

And yes, the window was completely restored before Lane got home Monday. (Thanks to Mr. Reynolds!) And all is well. But I have learned that stupid things happened to loving parents. And of course to take that little booger with me when I step outside!!! He has learned a lesson too...when Moma goes around a corner, in a different room or otherwise out of sight, you just call out "MOMA" and see if she answers. Then RUN in there to be sure the doors are unlocked!

2 comments:

boykinfamily said...

Gosh! I bet you about freaked out! Poor Rylan! Glad everything is okay now!

Hope said...

Oh Wow! I know that was a rough experience for everyone!! But, I'm sure what Rylan will remember is that the officer, his mom, and the good neighbors saved him. I'm sure he got a few extra hugs that afternoon!! I'm convinced God has his own way of showing us that nothing is beyond us, even when we are POSITIVE we would never let that happen to our kids, right!;)