Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Little Scary Today...

I called in on Sunday about a bladder infection that had gotten too painful to sit through. The midwife on-call called in a prescription for the anti biotic and the pain killer. Of course the CVS closed at 6:00 and not 7:00. So it was noon on Monday before I took the meds. Armed with the Rx and two jugs of cranberry juice, Monday and Tuesday I seemed to be on the mend... Except the more I drank, the less came out. And the pain, still there.

By this morning, standing up to walk to the bathroom was excruciating. So we went to my 10:30 appt (weekly check up) and long story short, they admitted me to the hospital, did an ultrasound on my kidneys (looking for stones or kidney 'blockage', i.e. kidney failure) and then did lab work. Oh, did I mention that my midwife "catherized' me while in our check up (unpleasant but she was trying to relieve the bladder pain) Not much came out but it must have scared the boogers out of my selfish bladder bc I have been peeing plenty ever since. (Every 15 minutes!)

Then to the Non-stress test on Savannah. That was cool. Just monitoring her heart rate and .. yes those are real Braxton Hicks contractions and YES they are quite close together! Not that it means too much. The UTI could be aggravating the uterus and causing them to be more frequent. But it was nice to hear her heart beat and watch the contractions for a few hours.

So, final diagnosis is that I have an extremely bad UTI that may be heading for my kidneys. Or a stone that was blocking the path. Either way, after (2) huge shots of penicillin (in my fat thigh!OUCH!!) and several cups of complimentary juice, 4 hours in a hospital bed and some National Geographic TV... I am home and going to take a nap. After I pee. And drink a big glass of water....Which will make me pee again... Which, honestly, doesn't bother me as long as what I am putting in finds it's happy way out.

Thanks for your concern and sorry for scaring everyone! Will update later!

2 comments:

Hope said...

OUCH!! Hope you feel better soon. Isn't catherization fun?!

boykinfamily said...

Goodness! Sorry you're going through that. UTI's are the WORST!!!