So today, I am at a friend's house, holding a friend's infant, when SG decided she would like to get closer to mommy. So I propped the baby up and I gently (there are witnesses) grabbed both of her forearms and slid her up my shins to my lap; Her joints popping and snapping as usual.
Except this time, she cried. And squawked-Flicking and scratching her immobile left arm. Approx 5 minutes passed and she squawked anytime I touched her wrist... Not good. We left and called our Ped in Columbia. (like I said before, I don't cheat on my ped. He is great) We go in to find out that her elbow is out of joint!
What? Anatomically, I thought it had to be a ball/socket joint to be pulled out? Apparently [b]children 0-3 years are susceptible to NURSEMAID'S ELBOW. [/b]
I was gentle bc I know my joints roll out of joint and worry that she is double-jointed too. But all it takes is the RIGHT angle at the RIGHT time and SNAP!
So be careful. Very careful. Once the tendon has been damaged, they are more prone to it happening again. Snapping it back in is not fun. But not as bad as snapping a shoulder back in. Just be careful!
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I've read a bit about this and it sounds painful! Hope she is feeling better!
Post a Comment